How many questions do you answer with Yes?
- easily lose control of situations?
- seek reassurance from others constantly; have a high need for positive feedback?
- lack self-belief; don’t have the confidence to tackle larger and more complex tasks?
- avoid taking risks?
- lack motivation, energy and passion?
- withdraw to avoid conflict and difficult situations?
- often become entangled in complex office politics?
- become involved in gossiping and complaining over the coffee machine or water fountain?
- avoid setting goals and planning your work daily?
- ignore positive feedback and focus on negative or constructive feedback?
- allow fear to dominate actions and interactions – fear of failure, fear of losing your job, etc?
12 Keys to Improve Your Value at Work and Strengthen Your Performance
Here are a dozen actions that you can take to strengthen yourself and increase your value as an employee.
- Know what is expected of you. Check your Position Description and your Performance Goals. Make plans and set yearly, quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily goals to achieve outcomes. Communicate them.
- Show an interest in enhancing the quality of the work that is produced.
- Be prepared to assist others with tasks.
- Generate strategic ideas and present them logically and clearly.
- Seek personal feedback and remain open to suggestions for improvement.
- Don’t gossip.
- Walk the talk – embody every organisational value.
- Cultivate and maintain good relationships at all levels.
- Be self aware. Work on your strengths and improve your weaker areas.
- Avoid complacency. Be passionate about your work.
- Be proactive. Be a problem solver.
- Be courageous, and proceed with confidence.
Do you need help to build your value at work? Call us, we can help with our coaching services.